OUR PRIVACY ASSURANCE TO YOU
At Village Motors Pty Ltd your privacy is been important to us. We comply with the National Privacy Principles.
THIS POLICY AND OTHER PRIVACY STATEMENTS
When you apply for a new product or service, notices are generally given about privacy and requests for consent. Those privacy notices (called privacy statements) specify in more detail how any information about you may be used and disclosed in relation to the particular product or service.
When you apply for or use one of our products or services, you consent to us collecting, maintaining, using and disclosing personal information about you and provided by you or by another person in accordance with the privacy statement in the application form and this policy.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES VILLAGE MOTORS RETAIN?
The types of information we keep on record will depend on the type of product or service requested by you.
Generally, we keep a record of one or more of the following types of information about you:
- Information that identifies you, such as your name, address, telephone contact, drivers licence and the information provided by you and people nominated by you
- If you apply for finance, credit information about you
- If you apply for insurance, information about what is being insured (including health information about you, your income and occupation if you are requesting GAP Insurance)
We do not actively seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about your racial or ethnic origin or any criminal record), unless it is necessary for our business purposes. If we do have to collect sensitive information, we will do so in accordance with the National Privacy Principles.
Sometimes we act as an agent for others when collecting information about you, such as for our preferred insurance companies. We will tell you when we do this.
During the course of our relationship with you, we may gather information about you relating to all products and services that we or our preferred suppliers provide to you. This information is used to help us form views about how we can improve our relationship with you.
HOW VILLAGE MOTORS COLLECTS INFORMATION FROM ITS WEBSITES
We collect and hold information about you when you:
- Complete an online application or other type of form
- Provide us with your email address
- Access and use our services through our website
We also collect some statistical information about visitors, from our website (for example, the number of visitors, pages viewed, types of transactions conducted, time online and documents downloaded). Some of this statistical information is collected by using cookies, but none of the statistical information we collect allows us to identify a visitor. We use this information to evaluate our website performance and continually improve our services.
Other than statistical information, we do not collect any information about you through our website unless you provide the information to us.
HOW VILLAGE MOTORS GENERALLY COLLECTS YOUR INFORMATION
Generally, we only collect personal information about you from you, unless it is not reasonable or practical for us to do so or you consent. For example, you may authorise us to collect information from a third party, like your employer to confirm your income details, or we may engage an agent. We may also collect information about you from publicly available sources such as company registers or Australian Taxation Office ABN searches.
HOW VILLAGE MOTORS MIGHT USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information to:
- Comply with all regulatory and statutory bodies when purchasing a vehicle from us
- Provide information to Holden GM and Nissan Motor Co of Australia for warranty and related purposes, including sending of material or contact about their products and services, disclosure of information to their contractors and agents (such as call centre operators, advertising agencies, direct mail houses), disclosure of your information to their related bodies corporate and transfer of your information out of and into Australia.
- Effectively manage and administer all products and services we provide to you including servicing of your vehicle and performance of any warranty related repairs.
- To enable our various departments to identify and contact you for things such as service reminders, promotional offers, recall notices etc.
Your personal information may also be used by us to assess your total relationship and product holding within Village Motors, analyse products and services, evaluate the needs of our customers and develop new products.
Unless you inform us or have previously told us not to, we may also provide access to your personal information to agents of Village Motors to inform you of products and services available, special promotions etc.
When we request your information we may give more specific details about the way we use your information.
WHAT RIGHTS DO VILLAGE MOTORS HAVE TO DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Usually we must get your consent before we tell anyone about you, your accounts or your credit information. You can give us your consent expressly or it may be implied by your conduct.
Sometimes the law requires us to give out information about you, such as a court if we were ordered to do so under a subpoena.
Depending on the product or service that we provide to you, if it is necessary we may also disclose your personal information to:
- Government agencies in connection with any vehicle purchase, such as for stamping and registration purpose
- Any organisation which you request us to or any persons acting on your behalf, including your financial adviser, broker, solicitor, or accountant – unless you tell us not to
- Any organisation to allow us to offer or provide our services to you, maintain our relationship with you, or as required under various laws and regulations that govern our business.
We may at other times give you more details about our disclosure practices in relation to specific products or services – for example on the attachment to the Vehicle Purchase Contract.
HOW VILLAGE MOTORS PROTECTS THE SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information which is held by us. For example, your personal information is stored in secured office premises, in electronic databases requiring logins and passwords for access. Access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff whose job purpose requires access. We require all staff to maintain the confidentiality of customer information.
We use secure methods to destroy or de-identify any personal information as soon as the law permits, provided the information is no longer needed by us for any purpose.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
Without your personal information, we generally are not able to provide our products and services to you, except in the circumstance of purchasing spare parts from us, which you are welcome to do so anonymously.
INFORMATION ABOUT PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
If you do not want the benefit of receiving information, special offers or exclusive opportunities about products and services (which may be supplied by us or any contractor that we may sub-contract) which we think may be of interest or value to you, then please tell us. You can do this at any time by writing to us or telephoning the Privacy Officer at the contact details listed below.
ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
You can request access at any time to personal information we hold about you. We will process your request within a reasonable time, usually 21 days for a straightforward request. More time may be needed, depending on the nature of the request.
There is no fee for requesting access to your information; however we may charge you the reasonable cost of processing your request.
CORRECTION OF INFORMATION
We try to ensure that all information we hold about you which we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. You must promptly notify us if there are any changes to your personal information.
You may ask us at any time to correct personal information held by us about you, which you believe is incorrect or out of date. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time.
If there is anything you would like to discuss, please contact us.
We will try to answer any questions you may have, correct any error on our part or resolve any complaint that you may have about our information handling practices. If we do not resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, you also have the right to complain to the Privacy Commissioner.
PRIVACY OFFICER CONTACT DETAILS
The Privacy Officer
425 Elizabeth Avenue,
Kippa-Ring QLD 4022
Telephone: 07 3883 0900